Water Services Act 2017 (Commencement) Order 2022
Jurisdiction: Republic of Ireland
Commencement: 1st February 2022
Amends: Water Services Act 2007
The Water Services Act 2007 relates to anyone who is:
- providing water services,
- making, causing or permitting a discharge to a drain, service connection or waste water works, or
- in receipt of a water supply.
The Act incorporates a comprehensive review, update and consolidation of all existing water services legislation, and facilitates the establishment of a comprehensive supervisory regime to ensure compliance with specified performance standards.
The Act includes provision to:
- Consolidate water services law into a single modern code, for ease of access and application,
- Introduce a licensing system to regulate the operations of group water services schemes,
- Amend the Environmental Protection Act 1992 to assign responsibility for supervision of sanitary authority water supplies to the Agency.
- Strengthen administrative arrangements for planning the delivery of water services at national and local level, and
- Place duties of care on users of water services in relation to water conservation, protection of collection and distribution networks, and prevention of risk to public health and the environment.
Section 23 requires Irish Water to not discriminate unfairly against a person, regardless of class or any other similar criteria.
The Legislation Update Service is the best way to stay up to date automatically with legislation in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Sign up for your free trial to get instant access.
These summaries (The Compliance People Materials) are provided free of charge as an example of the Legislation Update Service’s content. They are not intended to constitute legal advice for any specific situation. The Compliance People Materials are general and educational in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of individual cases. The Compliance People does not accept any responsibility for action taken by you or any User as a result of any The Compliance People Materials provided by us. You should take specific legal advice when dealing with specific situations.