The Vehicle Emissions Trading Schemes Order 2023
Jurisdiction: Great Britain
Commencement: 1st January 2024
Amends: New legislation
A series of trading schemes are established to limit greenhouse gas emissions from cars and vans.
From 3rd January 2024, manufacturers of non-zero emission vehicles* must sign up to the following schemes.
- The Non-Zero-Emission Car Registration Trading Scheme (CRTS).
- The Non-Zero-Emission Van Registration Trading Scheme (VRTS).
- The Non-Zero-Emission Car CO2 Trading Scheme (CCTS).
- The Non-Zero-Emission Van CO2 Trading Scheme (VCTS).
*Non-zero emission vehicles are vehicles that emit greenhouse gases.
Register of trading schemes
The Secretary of State must establish a register. This must include information on:
- the scheme participants;
- vehicles that have been manufactured and registered under a trading scheme;
- the allocation of allowances;
- trading of allowances and credits; and
- the surrender or expiry of allowances and credits.
Various duties apply and are available to view on the Legislation Update Service.
These summaries (The Compliance People Materials) are provided free of charge as an example of the Legislation Update Service’s content. They are not intended to constitute legal advice for any specific situation. The Compliance People Materials are general and educational in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of individual cases. The Compliance People does not accept any responsibility for action taken by you or any User as a result of any The Compliance People Materials provided by us. You should take specific legal advice when dealing with specific situations.