The Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2022
Jurisdiction: England, Scotland & Wales
Commencement: 28th July 2022
Amends: New Legislation
The Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2022 establishes the fourth Energy Compliance Obligation scheme (ECO4) which will run until 31st March 2026.
This Order establishes the fourth Energy Compliance Obligation scheme (ECO4) which will run until 31st March 2026.
The scheme places duties on large energy suppliers* to implement energy efficiency measures with the aim to reduce the cost of heating domestic properties. Duties are also placed on the Gas and Electricity Markets Authority.
*Large energy suppliers are licenced gas and electricity suppliers** that exceed the minimum qualifying supply*** of electricity and gas supplied to domestic customers.
***Qualifying supply means:
- 300 GWh (gigawatt hours) of electricity supplied per phase; or
- 700 GWh of gas supplied per phase.
The scheme is split into 4 phases.
- Phase 1: 27th July 2022 to 31st March 2023.
- Phase 2: 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2024.
- Phase 3: 1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025.
- Phase 4: 1st April 2025 to 31st March 2026.
Previous ECO schemes ran from:
- 1st January 2013 to 31st March 2015 under The Electricity and Gas (Energy Companies Obligation) Order 2012;
- 1st April 2015 to 30th September 2018 under The Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2014; and
- 3rd December 2018 to 31st March 2022 underThe Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2018.
Various duties apply
These summaries (The Compliance People Materials) are provided free of charge as an example of the Legislation Update Service’s content. They are not intended to constitute legal advice for any specific situation. The Compliance People Materials are general and educational in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of individual cases. The Compliance People does not accept any responsibility for action taken by you or any User as a result of any The Compliance People Materials provided by us. You should take specific legal advice when dealing with specific situations.