The Agricultural and Forestry Vehicles (Type-Approval) Regulations 2018 (SI 2018/236)
Commencement: 20th May 2018
Revokes and replaces
The Agricultural or Forestry Tractors (Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants) Regulations 2002 and The Tractor etc (EC Type-Approval) Regulations 2005
These Regulations implement:
- Regulation (EU) 167/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of agricultural and forestry vehicles; and
- Regulation (EU) 168/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles.
The EU Regulations implement type-approval requirements for motorcycle and agricultural and forestry vehicles in order to improve the safety and environmental performance of such vehicles.
These Regulations create domestic penalties for non-compliance with the requirements or for misconduct during the type approval process.
Article 19 of Regulation 167/2013 sets out environmental performance requirements for agricultural and forestry vehicles. Manufacturers must ensure that vehicles are designed, constructed and assembled so as to minimise the impact on the environment. This includes ensuring vehicles comply with the relevant requirements relating to pollutant emissions and external noise levels.
Article 23 of Regulation 168/2013 sets out environmental performance requirements for three-wheel vehicles and quadricylcles. Manufacturers must ensure that vehicles are designed, constructed and assembled so as to minimise the impact on the environment. They must ensure that type-approval vehicles meet the environmental performance requirements as set out in:
- Annexe II (exhaustive list or requirements for the purposes of EU vehicle-type approval);
- Annex V (environmental test and requirements);
- Annex VI (pollutant emission limit values, on-board diagnostic (OBD) system thresholds and sound-level limit values for type-approval and conformity of production); and
- within the durability mileage as set out in Annex VII (durability of pollution control devices).
Article 24 of Regulation 168/2013 includes additional environmental requirements with regards to greenhouse gas emissions, fuel consumption and electric energy consumption and electric range.