The Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018 (Commencement No. 2) Regulations 2022
Commencement: 27th May 2022
Amends: Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018
- the creation of a new liability scheme for insurers in relation to automated vehicles; and
- the creation of regulations relating to the installation and operation of charging points and hydrogen refuelling points for electric vehicles.
- requiring large fuel retailers and service area operators to provide and maintain public charging points;
- which address the lack of consistency in the content and format of publicly available information on public charging points;
- which ensure the provision of data from charge points to specified organisations (such as the National Grid and electricity distribution network operators); and
- regulations prohibiting the sale and installation of charge points in the UK, unless they meet certain requirements, which will be prescribed in regulations.
This Act set out duties for the Secretary of State and places no direct duties on businesses.
Section 11 of the 2018 Act came into force on 27th May 2022. The Secretary of State may now make regulations requiring large fuel retailers and service area operators to provide and maintain public charging points for electric vehicles.
The Legislation Update Service is the best way to stay up to date automatically with legislation in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Sign up for your free trial to get instant access.
These summaries (The Compliance People Materials) are provided free of charge as an example of the Legislation Update Service’s content. They are not intended to constitute legal advice for any specific situation. The Compliance People Materials are general and educational in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of individual cases. The Compliance People does not accept any responsibility for action taken by you or any User as a result of any The Compliance People Materials provided by us. You should take specific legal advice when dealing with specific situations.