EHS Compliance Officer
Salary: £23.2k rising to £26.3k
Are you looking to specialise in environment and health & safety legal compliance or perhaps currently in a graduate or trainee role and seeking an opportunity to develop your EHS compliance career?
We have a fabulous opportunity for a highly motivated Environment and Health & Safety Compliance Officer in the Content Team at The Compliance People’s Legal Update Service (LUS).
Working for The Compliance People is unlike working for any other consultancy or compliance service. Through our social enterprise model, we deliver professional environment, health & safety and quality compliance services in a competitive market; instead of our profits going to shareholders however, they are gift-aided into our charity, Newground Together, to support environment, social and community projects.
The main activities of the role include:
- To interpret EU, UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) environment and health & safety legislation, producing summaries that meet the LUS style, consistency and quality requirements.
- To contribute to ensuring environment and health & safety legal content resources are complete and accurate by proofing LUS entries and giving feedback to the author (regarding changes, clarifications) etc.
- To assist in the development of resources and original compliance-based content.
- To produce monthly environment and health & safety newsletters for LUS subscribers and other clients.
- To contribute to the development, implementation and improvement of processes for the production of LUS content.
- To respond to helpline enquiries from clients on general environment and health & safety compliance issues, with support from the compliance team.
- To contribute to updating and refreshing general website content for The Compliance People website.
- To support the EHS Compliance Trainee(s) in fulfilling their duties.
What we are looking for in a candidate
This role would suit someone who has already committed to establishing a career in environment and health & safety and is looking for career progression.
You will already have successfully completed professional foundation qualifications in environment and health & safety, such as the NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management and NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, or an equivalent.
- Demonstrable use of verbal and written communication skills to explain complex legal issues in writing, by telephone and face-to-face.
- Experience of working to established processes, using initiative to identify gaps, improvements and solutions to problems.
- Experience of successfully leading small scale projects to completion.
- Experience in meeting strict deadlines and targets.
- Experience of remote working.
- Knowledge of EU, UK and ROI environment and health & safety legislation and wider related issues that affect businesses.
- An understanding of the legal framework in the UK, EU and ROI.
- Ability to research information and present it in a clear format appropriate to the audience.
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work individually, as part of a team and to lead a team when asked to do so.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with business clients face-to-face, by telephone and email.
- Professional qualification in environment management, e.g. NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management.
- Professional qualification in health & safety management, e.g. NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
- IEMA membership at a minimum of graduate level, or equivalent with an alternative environmental professional membership body.
- IOSH membership at a minimum of associate level, or equivalent with an alternative health and safety professional membership body.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional development.
- Flexible approach to working hours to achieve work demands/priorities.
- Ability to organise personal workload with a minimum of supervision.
What you get in return
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary team will support you to develop your understanding and skills in EHS compliance, and we will provide structured training and career development, alongside the opportunity to work with experienced consultants.
We pride ourselves on having a family-friendly, flexible working environment. We recognise that work is one part of our lives and making time for the other things is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. Along with a competitive salary, we offer a range of other benefits to support work/life balance, including:
- A 37 hour flexible working week;
- 27 days annual leave (with an additional 1 day per year up to 5 days) in addition to bank holidays;
- Pension scheme with up to 10% employer contribution;
- Paid professional membership subscriptions;
- Health cover;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Car lease scheme;
How to apply
Please ensure you download a copy of the Job Description & Person Specification and ensure your CV matches the requirements of the role.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role to email@example.com. CV’s sent without a covering letter will not be considered.
About The Compliance People
The Compliance People’s Legislation Update Service (LUS) is an innovative online system which provides organisations in the UK and Republic of Ireland with bespoke legal registers for environment and health & safety. We are a highly regarded consultancy business with over 25 years’ experience and an enviable client list. The team is made up of legal compliance and management systems specialists, together with dedicated sales and product development functions, all of whom are committed to delivering professional, high-quality services in an honest and approachable way.
We are proud to be part of Newground CIC, an award-winning not-for-profit social enterprise. All our profits are gift-aided to our charity, Newground Together, to support environment and community projects across the North of England.