EHS Compliance Advisor
Salary: £28.6k to £33.2k
Are you an EHS practitioner, ISO management systems auditor or legal compliance auditor with wide-reaching experience of legal compliance gained in the UK or Republic of Ireland?
During the coronavirus lockdown, you may have realised that you don’t want to return to travelling around the country and eating meals for one in a series of hotels; you would rather be able to plan a mid-week meet up with friends or family and enjoy the comfort of your own home. If this sounds like you, The Compliance People has just the opportunity you’ve been searching for.
We are recruiting for an Environment and Health & Safety Compliance Advisor to complement our Legislation Update Service (LUS) Content Team. This role involves no overnight stays away from home and little travel.
Working for The Compliance People is unlike working for any other consultancy or compliance service. Through our social enterprise model, we deliver professional environment, health & safety and quality compliance services in a competitive market; instead of our profits going to shareholders however, they are gift-aided into our charity, Newground Together, to support environment, social and community projects.
The primary activities of the role are to:
- Monitor and evaluate sources of information for EU, UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) environment and health & safety legislation.
- Identify and prioritise EU, UK and ROI environment and health & safety legislation to be added to LUS.
- Assign prioritised legislation to the LUS Content Team.
- Use your practical experience and creative writing skills to interpret legislation, research information sources and translate the law into understandable summaries, written in a way that makes them accessible to our customers.
- Contribute to ensuring all environment and health & safety legal content and resources are complete and accurate, by proofing LUS entries and providing feedback to the writer.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and improvement of processes for the production of LUS content by identifying gaps and potential improvements in current processes.
- Conduct periodic reviews and spot checks on LUS content to ensure style, consistency and quality requirements are met.
- Assist with formalising and documenting LUS legislative and non-legislative content processes to achieve and maintain consistency.
- Support the EHS Compliance Officer(s) and EHS Compliance Trainee(s) in fulfilling their duties.
- Maintain an awareness of EU, UK, EU and ROI environment and health & safety legislation.
- Undertake training and professional development to develop skills, maintain knowledge base and continue to meet the requirements of the post.
What we are looking for in a candidate
We want you to actively contribute to improving the compliance content of LUS, taking the lead when appropriate.
This role would be particularly suited to someone with extensive experience as an EHS practitioner, 1st, 2nd or 3rd party ISO management systems or legal compliance auditor.
You must have a comprehensive understanding of the practical application of EU and UK environment and health & safety legislation and best practice; an understanding of Republic of Ireland legislation would be a distinct advantage.
You are also likely to have a demonstratable working knowledge of environment and health & safety management systems gained by implementation or auditing to ISO 14001, ISO 45001 or OHSAS 18001; an understanding of ISO 9001 would also be an advantage.
- Comprehensive knowledge of EU and UK environment and health & safety legislation and best practice and its practical application within a business setting.
- A thorough understanding of the legal framework in the UK, EU and ROI.
- Sound knowledge of environment and health & safety issues, principles and practices relevant to the public and private sectors, across a range of business sectors.
- Good working knowledge of at least one of the following management systems standards: ISO14001 and ISO 45001.
- Ability to positively influence internal stakeholders and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience of remote working.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to explain complex legal issues in writing, by telephone and face-to-face.
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks, deliver on time and work well under pressure.
- Ability to grasp complex legal concepts quickly.
- Ability to organise own personal workload and support others.
- Flexible approach to working hours to achieve work demands/priorities.
- Appropriate professional status/qualification, dependent on area of specialism and level of experience, e.g. IEMA auditor status, NEBOSH diploma, CEnv.
What you get in return
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary team will support you as you develop and grow in your role. We also provide structured training and career development opportunities.
We pride ourselves on having a family-friendly, flexible working environment. We recognise that work is one part of our lives and making time for the other things is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. Along with a competitive salary, we offer a range of other benefits to support work/life balance, including:
- A 37 hour flexible working week;
- 27 days annual leave (with an additional 1 day per year up to 5 days) in addition to bank holidays;
- Pension scheme with up to 10% employer contribution;
- Paid professional membership subscriptions;
- Health cover;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Car lease scheme;
How to apply
Please ensure you download a copy of the Job Description & Person Specification and ensure your CV matches the requirements of the role.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. CV’s sent without a covering letter will not be considered.
About The Compliance People
The Compliance People’s Legislation Update Service (LUS) is an innovative online system which provides organisations in the UK and Republic of Ireland with bespoke legal registers for environment, health & safety. We are a highly regarded consultancy business with over 25 years’ experience and an enviable client list. The team is made up of legal compliance and management systems specialists, together with dedicated sales and product development functions, all of whom are committed to delivering professional, high-quality services in an honest and approachable way.
We are proud to be part of Newground CIC, an award-winning not-for-profit social enterprise. All our profits are gift-aided to our charity, Newground Together, to support environment and community projects across the North of England