Environment, Health and Safety Consultant (Trainee)
Starting at £18k rising to £22k
Are you a highly motivated person looking for your first step in developing a career in environment and health & safety compliance?
This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a company that invests in both its employees and the community.
We get that not everyone has the opportunity to go to university and that is why the post of Environment, Health & Safety Consultant (Trainee) is open to both graduates and non-graduates.
What’s important is that you have the willingness, drive and enthusiasm to learn and apply new skills and knowledge to assist in your development and we will provide structured training and career development from day one.
Working for the Compliance People is unlike working for any other consultancy or compliance service. Through our social enterprise model, we deliver professional environment, health & safety and quality compliance in a competitive market. However, instead of our profits going to shareholders, they are gift-aided into our charity, Newground Together, to support environment, social and community projects.
Please submit a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role. CV’s sent without a covering letter will not be considered.
This role is 80% home working, 20% in our office in Blackburn.
The main activities of the role include:
- To maintain registers of environment and health & safety legislation, providing subscribers to The Compliance People’s Legislation Update Service (LUS) with up-to-date, accurate summaries of EU, UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) law.
- To learn and understand EU, UK and ROI environment and health & safety legal obligations for organisations operating in the UK and ROI.
- To use this knowledge to write and develop written summaries of legislation that meet LUS style, consistency and quality requirements.
- To contribute to ensuring that all EU, UK and ROI environment and health & safety legal content is complete, accurate, comprehensible and up-to-date.
- To produce the monthly environment and health & safety newsletters for LUS subscribers and other clients.
- To attend training and development activities to develop understanding and application of environment and health & safety legislation and career progression as a consultant.
What we are looking for in a candidate:
- You must have a passion for all things health, safety and environmental and want to turn this into a rewarding career in EHS compliance and consultancy.
- A love of words and grammatical accuracy because this post involves a lot of research and writing.
- Enthusiasm, drive and determination to learn, develop and succeed within your role.
- Keen, demonstrable interest in health, safety and environmental issues that affect businesses.
- Experience in researching a subject and summarising the relevant information for your audience.
- Experience in working and contributing to the effectiveness of a team.
- Ability and experience in organising and prioritising your workload to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate face-to-face, by telephone and email.
- Use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Flexible approach to working hours to meet work demands and priorities.
- Able to commit to Continuous Professional Development.
- High level of proficiency in spoken and written English, including grammar rules.
- Willing to work towards NEBOSH Environmental Management Certificate and NEBOSH National General Occupational Health and Safety Certificate.
What you get in return
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary team will support you as you develop and grow in your role. We also provide structured training and career development opportunities.
We pride ourselves on having a family-friendly, flexible working environment. We recognise that work is one part of our lives and making time for the other things is essential – be that our families, our friends, or ourselves. Along with a competitive salary and generous commission structure, we offer a range of other benefits to support work/life balance, including:
- A 37-hour flexible working week, split between remote and office working.
- 27 days holiday (rising to 32 over 5 years’ service) + bank holidays.
- A great flexible working environment, with a range of family-friendly policies.
- A huge range of personal development opportunities.
- A very attractive pension scheme & healthcare benefit.
- Other employee benefits including cycle to work schemes.
About The Compliance People
The Compliance People is a highly regarded environment, health & safety and quality consultancy business with over 25 years’ experience. Our premier product is the Legislation Update Service (LUS), an innovative online system providing organisations in the UK and Republic of Ireland with bespoke legal registers for environment, health & safety. The team is made up of legal compliance and management systems specialists, together with dedicated sales and product development functions. We are committed to delivering professional, high-quality services in an honest and approachable way.
We are proud to be part of Newground CIC, an award-winning not-for-profit social enterprise. All profits are gift-aided to our charity, Newground Together, to support environmental and community projects across the North of England.
How to apply
Please ensure you download a copy of the Job Description & Person Specification and ensure your CV matches the requirements of the role.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role to Cheryl.Robertson@thecompliancepeople.co.uk. CV’s sent without a covering letter will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 21 May.